Yield: 6 tacos
Prep Time: 10 Minutes, Cook Time: 15 minutes
Recipe Type: Easy, Ketogenic, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb
Cuisine: American/ Mexican
Pile on chicken and toppings of choice in crisp cheesy taco shells and build yourself a delicious pick-and-mix meal. Liven them up with sour cream or guacamole and add an extra kick with some hot salsa. Quick, simple and packed with flavor, these tacos are ideal for sharing and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. They also work great with leftover rotisserie chicken.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (5oz/140g each) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 jalapeno chilies, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 ripe medium tomato, peeled seeded and diced
11/2 teaspoon taco seasoning (or use 1/2 teaspoon of each ground coriander, cumin, and smoked paprika)
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped (optional)
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the taco shells:
2 cups /8oz/225g shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning (or smoked paprika)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Romaine lettuce heart, shredded
1 ripe avocado, diced
1/2 cup/3 ½ oz/100g sour cream
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas mark 4 and line a large baking sheet with silicon baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked, about 8-10 minutes. Add the onion, jalapeno, garlic, tomato, seasoning and chipotle pepper, if using. Cook, shaking the pan regularly, until the moisture has evaporated, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Suspend 2-3 thick-handled wooden spoons (or a yardstick wrapped in aluminum foil) between two large cans each (or between two overturned glasses).
- In a bowl, toss the cheese with seasoning and dried oregano and sprinkle evenly to form six circles (5 in diameter each) on the prepared baking sheet (use about 1/3 cup cheese for each circle). Bake for about 6-7 minutes, or until the edges brown lightly. Remove from the oven and let cool for 45-60 seconds.
- Using a spatula, carefully lift the cheese circles and carefully hang on the wooden spoons to form taco shells, until firm (about 5-6 minutes).
- Remove the shells and fill with the chicken and your favorite toppings. Serve immediately.
Amount per Serving (185g)
Calories 361kcal | Total Carbohydrate 6.4g | Dietary Fiber 2.4g | Total Sugars 2.4g |Total Fat 26.6g| Protein 24.6g
While we strive to keep the nutritional information as accurate as possible, please feel free to make your own calculations with the actual products you use.
Leave a comment